Pastor of Kids Ministry - Deep Water Church
Deep Water Church is a 10-year-old, fast-growing church located in the downtown core of Halifax, Nova Scotia. So far our Kids Ministry has been very well-led by volunteer leaders, but as the number of kids we are ministering to, the size of the volunteer team, and number of worship gatherings we are offering continues to grow, we have reached the point where it's time to hire a full-time leader for this important ministry to help us move to the next level and enable us to help even more kids become passionate followers of Jesus Christ.
Deep water is a fun, vibrant, younger, multi-ethnic, congregation that is passionate about reaching our city for Jesus. Halifax is a historic harbour city that's home to several universities, hospitals, military bases, and is the provincial capitol of Nova Scotia. The culture of Halifax is diverse but is generally liberal, post-christian, and at times even hostile towards church and Christianity and so it's a great place to minister. Imagine a cross between Boston, Massachusetts and Portland, Oregon but in Canada.
You can see the formal job description below. For more information or to apply, send your resume and a cover letter to Lead Pastor AJ Thomas here.
- Term: One year renewable
- Reports to: Lead Pastor
- Hours: Full time
- Compensation: Salary TBD based on experience and capacity, district health Insurance, and pension
- Spiritual and emotional maturity and Wesleyan theological convictions
- Relevant education
- Credentials with the Wesleyan Church or a willingness to pursue them
- Strong ability to recruit and develop people and to do ministry with and though them
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple moving pieces
- Flexible, creative and not easily phased by challenges or problems
- Enjoys being a part of a staff team and working together to accomplish the mission
- Able to relate to and build relationships with parents as well as children
Lead Deep Water’s Ministry to children (birth - grade 6)
- Work with the Lead Pastor to set the overall vision and strategy for Kids’ Ministry at Deep Water.
- Lead the operation and ensure the excellence of Sunday Gathering Kids’ Ministry
- Oversee the choice of curriculum and content for Kids’ Ministry at Deep Water
- Recruit, develop, deploy, lead, and manage a growing volunteer team
- Help parents to see, embrace, and excel in their role as the primary discipler of their children
- Develop and manage the budget for children’s ministry
- Manage the church’s child protection policy and update as necessary
- Represent the interests of children and their parents in broader conversations with the staff and church leadership
- Oversee baptism preparedness assessment and preparation for children seeking baptism.
- Work with the youth pastor to coordinate a smooth transition for students from kids ministry to youth ministry.
- Provide primary pastoral care for children at Deep Water
- Help provide pastoral care for kids’ ministry volunteers and parents
General Pastoral Responsibilities
- Some help with weddings, funerals, baby dedications, and hospital visits
- Occasional preaching
- Other duties as assigned